Exercising is important for one and all. Even pregnant women must exercise throughout their pregnancy, as it helps them stay fit, healthy and prevents excess weight gain. Women who exercise regularly during pregnancy tend to have better posture. It also helps reduce incidence of common discomforts such as backache and fatigue. According to American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, pregnant women can do around 30 minutes of moderate exercise in a day. This is unless they have any medical condition or are experiencing complications related to pregnancy. Pregnant women who have diabetes, heart disease or asthma must refrain from exercising during pregnancy. Also, exercising must also be avoided in case of pregnancy-related complications like low placenta, bleeding or spotting, a weak cervix, history of premature births of early labor and threatened or recurrent miscarriages. Pregnant women with such complications must take up exercising only under the supervision of a doctor.
In the meantime, let’s see how exercises like running can be helpful for women during pregnancy. Keep reading…
1. You’re likely to gain less weight: Studies say that women who exercise regularly during pregnancy gain lesser weight as compared to women who don’t.
Also read: 7 Foods You Must Avoid During Pregnancy
2. Labour and delivery may be easier: It is all not guaranteed but of course a fit cardiovascular system and a stronger body can give you more stamina for the pushing stage during pregnancy.
3. It lowers risk of gestational diabetes: Running during pregnancy can lower the risk of gestational diabetes. High blood sugar during pregnancy puts women at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes in the next decade or so after delivery. There are high chances of preterm delivery and having an overweight baby.
4. You’re likely to have less pain: A majority of women experience back aches, cramps, body aches and stomach aches during pregnancy but exercising, running, water workouts, yoga, etc can help in getting relief.
5. You have more energy: Even a 10 minute walk can uplift your mood and give you a lot energy. Therefore, running during pregnancy, according to your stamina, can help in giving a boost to your energy levels.